Monday, November 1, 2010

light in the silence?

for Take Back the Night week we watched Searching for Angela Shelton - about one woman's journey to meet and talk with everyone else in the country with her name, and telling her story of childhood sexual abuse along the way.  because the only thing they had in common was their name, it was supposed to be a good picture of what women in America go through.  24 out of 40 of them had experienced physical or sexual abuse.

There are times when something is sad and you cry and feel better; and there are times like this, when you can't comprehend the magnitude of grief.  Your mind screams at you to distance yourself from the emotion of what you're seeing because otherwise you'll shatter.  And I kept thinking that it's so hard to find God in the midst of his people's cries of pain.

How do I live with that?  How am I supposed to respond when it feels like the world's hurt is stronger than the healing?
The theme of Take Back the Night is Light the Silence.  It's about hearing voices of hope, and how if we speak in unity we can overcome the pain.  Looking back on my own life thus far, I remember how some of the times when I felt the most hurt and pain were also some of the times when I most clearly felt the presence of God.  So I believe it's true, even when it doesn't feel true.

I don't know how to light the silence.  but I'm trying to trust God to show me.

No comments:

Post a Comment