Friday, November 12, 2010

some kind of perfection

today I am happy because people are beautiful and the earth is glowing.  the leaves are golden, the sky is impossibly blue, and the air tastes like justice.

The earth was full of life and there were dandelions growing out the window, thick as thieves, already seeded, fat as big yellow plungers.  She let my hand go.  I got up.  "I'll go out and dig a few dandelions," I told her.
Outside, the sun was hot and heavy as a hand on my back.  I felt it flow down my arms, out my fingers, arrowing throught the ends of the fork into the earth.  With every root I prized up there was return, as if I was kin to its secret lesson.  The touch got stronger as I worked through the grassy afternoon.  Uncurling from me like a seed out of the blackness where I was lost, the touch spread.  The spiked leaves full of bitter mother's milk.  A buried root.  A nuisance people dig up and throw in the sun to wither.  A globe of frail seeds that's indestructible.
-Louise Erdrich, Love Medicine

No comments:

Post a Comment