Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Global Goals Spotlight #1: Gender Equality

Remember when I wrote about the new Global Goals for Sustainable Development?

Let's talk about those again.

Specifically, today I want to talk about #5: Gender Equality ("Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls"). Some people are tired of talking about gender equality because they think it's irrelevant. Outdated. Obsolete. I could expound at length about trafficking, sexual violence and rape, the gender wage gap, lack of access to healthcare, under-representation in political and leadership roles, illiteracy, lack of education for girls in impoverished countries, female genital mutilation, and reproductive rights -- but I won't. (For now.) Suffice it to say that I strongly believe the gender equality conversation is imperative.

The Global Goals website summarizes the ideas behind each Goal on their website; I highly encourage you to read the whole list of targets for achieving Goal #5 here.

I've been thinking a lot about this Goal lately, and spending some time reading about it and gathering resources. So now I want to share a few of those resources for education and action with you.

Recently, NPR has been doing a fantastic series of articles called #15Girls: Teens Taking Control and Changing Their Fate. I love this because it gets people engaged and thinking about the realities of life for teens (especially girls) around the world (especially those living in poverty).

A few highlights from the series:
About a month ago, my housemate Sarah told me about an app called Charity Miles. It's free, and when you walk, run, or bike somewhere, it tracks your distance and donates to a charity of your choice. It's not a lot, but it adds up; since I started using it, I've accumulated $10.12 from the walking and biking I'm already doing. As a very small way to remember to fight for the Global Goals, I've been splitting my donations between Girl Up (a UN organization designed to empower girls around the world, especially "girls living in places where it is hardest to be a girl") and Every Mother Counts (a maternal health organization that provides education, transportation, and supplies to women during pregnancy and childbirth). I know it's small, but it's something I can do with absolutely no extra effort other than the few seconds it takes to turn on Charity Miles.

Another incredible resource is Nicholas Kristof & Sheryl WuDunn's book Half the Sky. I can't say enough about this book. It's as foundational as it is eye-opening, and as hopeful as it is realistic. Read it, read it, read it. But just in case you don't, I'll boil it down to this one phrase: Educating girls will change the world.

These are just a few ways to get involved in the movement to empower our sisters around the world. There are hundreds more that I haven't named, and I encourage you to find them and tell people about them.

I don't have all the answers, friends. But I'm asking you today to do one thing. Please just take one step to educate yourself, or change a habit, or give to a nonprofit, or open your eyes. It does make a difference. It really does.

No comments:

Post a Comment