Sunday, October 18, 2015

Neighborly wonderings

I went out into the alley behind our house today to get cardboard to shred for my compost pile. While I was out there I heard the voice of our neighbor who lives on the other side of the alley, talking to his cat and the squirrels like he always does. I mused about his oddness for a while. Then I realized I was elbow deep in my giant blue recycling bin, foraging for used cardboard.

Hmm. Maybe I shouldn't be quite so quick to pass judgment on other people's normalcy.

Maybe he sees something in the animals that I don't see. Or maybe he just gets along with animals better than with people. Can't blame anyone for that.

As I left the recycling bin, retreating inside our wooden fence to my little compost haven, I waved. He greeted me back merrily with a wave and a hello.

"That's the girl..." he said to his cat, the rest of the sentence too quiet for me to hear. I smiled to myself. I really want to know what he told the cat about me.

Maybe tomorrow I'll learn his name or something else about him. Or maybe we'll just share another wave and a smile. Either way, I'm happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment