Saturday, June 16, 2012

To my father

This is written in appreciation of my father.  I hope you will consider the people in your own life and why you appreciate them.

Like my mom, my dad has instilled in me a desire to do the best I can with what I have.  Both my parents have mentored me in following Christ and caring for others, and I aspire to be like them.

My dad teaches middle school special education for students with emotional disabilities.  That means that he regularly puts up with verbal attacks, violent behavior, and resistance to authority, and still comes home smiling most days.  He's one of the most caring, patient, servant-hearted people I know.

When I wanted to learn how to throw a football (so P.E. wasn't so embarrassing), he was always willing to practice with me.  We went to many UVA football games together, and I could yell the team cheer with the best of them.  He taught me how to drive and how to keep track of money.  He makes the best omelets.  More than anything, I love to laugh with him.

In the face of life decisions and career choices, I am especially grateful for the presence of my dad.  Many people act as if making a career change would be up there with flea infestations and getting a concussion.  Because the idea of picking something and sticking with it for 30+ years has never really appealed to me, I often find it difficult to respond to this type of attitude.

But I know my dad majored in accounting, worked for five years as an accountant and didn't like it, and switched rather drastically to a career as a school counselor, all before I was born (or old enough to remember).  And later, I watched him switch to teaching special ed because of a job opportunity and end up loving it.

All this has taught me about following your passion, even if there are obstacles in your way.  In less than a year, I will graduate from EMU and be an alleged "adult" (heh heh).  At this point, it's hard for me to see myself choosing a career path and sticking with it for 40 years -- and it means a lot to me to have a role model who has navigated these life changes with grace and perseverance.

All in all, my dad has been a supportive, calming, and quietly inspirational presence in my life.  Perhaps what speaks the most to me is that he rarely exerts his influence of character with words; instead, he inspires me with his life.

Happy Father's Day, Dad.  I love you.

1 comment:

  1. so very beautiful, Meg. i knew sherwyn before you were born, when my husband Charles & i were in Charlottesville and in the same Small Group (Cell Group) as your parents. I remember being so amazed when he did that switch career-wise, but admired him for his courage. Your last paragraph is so honoring of him. Praise God for giving YOU a servant-heart for God and for blessing others.

    ReplyDelete