Saturday, June 9, 2012

summer, part two

I've learned an incredible amount from volunteering the past six weeks, especially from the people I've worked with -- and not just about gardening or running a fair-trade store; I've learned a lot from them as good-hearted, beautiful people.  Being at home has been wonderful, too.  I've spent time with my family and many friends, and it has been a mix of restful and happy and vivid.  So really, this stage of summer has been everything I could have hoped for.
On Monday I start training at Highland.  I could be sad to leave this relaxed, life-giving period of time, except that I know that my time at camp will be every bit as inspiring.

As a third-time counselor, I know the basics of what to expect:  spending every minute of every day outside, throwing ourselves into lots of high-energy activities, bringing laughter into almost every situation, and letting the craziest parts of our personalities come out.  It's an amazing 2-month period to anticipate.  The best, in fact:  I know, without a doubt, that I will be completely and indescribably happy.

But, as a third-time counselor, I also know that not everything can be anticipated.  The reason so many people spend summer after summer as a camp counselor is because the role is never static.  Each week brings a new set of campers, and with them, a new set of challenges and joys.  Every day allows you to experience something beautiful and transforming, if you are open to being transformed.

I have no regrets about any of my experiences as a counselor, and yet I know with certainty that I could be better in countless ways.  So I'm praying that this summer I will be more patient, more open, and more giving with the girls in my cabin groups, and that I will be receptive to what they need.  I'm praying for closeness as a team of staff, and for friendships that will last for years.  Most of all, I hope and pray that Highland and its family will be a community of people following Jesus, showing God to everyone who visits.  Pray for us as we start another journey this summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment