Saturday, January 22, 2011

changing the world, one meal at a time

I love eating locally because it makes my hands dirty, my stomach happy, and my heart full.  It makes me so incredibly thankful for the wonderful friends I have.  People who will share their homemade jam and dumpster-dived knives, gather together in the midst of chaos, line up to wash each other's dishes, and clean liquefied butternut squash off counters.

Leading the local meals for SFI are some of the times that make me think, I was made for this.  Sitting at a table full of people and joy, eating justice food.  I think that kind of food might be one of the few tangible representations of the kingdom of God on earth.  because when you eat it, you know what's behind it and in it, whose hands have cared for it, and why it's worth extra time and money and energy to prepare it.  It also teaches me to trust in the unpredictableness of things, the way I trust that God is infinitely more loving and gracious than I deserve.  I cannot guess the exact number of potatoes I will need any more than I can control the delicate workings of my everyday life, and nevertheless, both of them always work out somehow in the end.

And for this, I will always remember to be thankful.  blessed be the name of the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment