Saturday, April 22, 2017

March for Science Colorado Springs

Happy Earth Day, friends!

After spending most of my morning at an Intro to Aerial Silks class (more on that soon), I made my way to City Hall for the COS rally and March for Science. (If you've been living under a rock and haven't heard, there are science marches going on all across the country today to protest the silencing of scientific evidence around climate change and other serious issues.)


It was fun to see that I wasn't the only one who biked through the dreary half-rain to get there.


I arrived during the speaker portion, but was too far back to hear much of anything, so I focused on reading signs and soaking up general good vibes. 

Some days it feels like I'm alone in the fight; it's so encouraging to be around other people who care enough to take action.


We marched.


Quite a lot of creative signs. My own was a somewhat hastily drawn, Lorax-inspired "I SPEAK FOR THE TREES," but I took notes on some other favorites for future events.


 Hard to get a good picture of the size of the crowd, but organizers were estimating that around 1,000 folks turned up. Not bad for a semi-rainy day, and really pretty good for the Springs, which is a military haven and also sometimes called the evangelical Mecca.


Next Saturday, April 29, will be a similar (in fact, probably much larger) event: the People's Climate March. Though I can't physically attend the climate march, I'll be there in spirit for sure. I hope you will join me in engaging in earth-protecting actions this week and beyond.

Wishing each of you encouragement and hope as we seek to protect our beautiful planet!

No comments:

Post a Comment