Tuesday, February 21, 2017

2017 goals

I'm aware that it's customary to write about goals around the New Year, but as a way of staying mindful of our goals after the New Year's glow has faded, I'm sharing my list now.

1. Run a 10K. I've run several 5Ks in the past (never all that well) and this year, I intend to take on a bigger challenge. My dad is a longtime marathon runner, and my sister ran a 10K last year, so I feel like genetically I should be able to get into good shape for running.

Also, I've always loved running in the same way that I love dancing: I'm not particularly good at either one but both are exhilarating. They both make me feel like I inhabit my body more deeply, more fully. I love that feeling.

2. Travel. I didn't put any specifics on this. I just want to do it, to whatever extent is possible.

3. Stay politically aware, and become more active in civic protest. In recent years I've become a lot more knowledgeable about U.S. politics, and in recent months I've begun calling my representatives' offices to voice support and opposition. (Usually opposition, it seems.) I want to continue those practices and also attend more protests and rallies.

4. Read 50 books. In 2015 and 2016, I set my goal at 40 and exceeded it by 3 or 4 books, so in theory this should be doable.

I set that numerical goal right around the new year, but this week I added another component, which is the much more important part: I decided that this needs to be a year in which I read more books by people of color than by white people. I've become more and more convinced that we need to let people of color lead in the struggle toward racial justice. Reading their books isn't by any means the only way I plan on doing that, but it's a way. So that means 26+ books.

When I made this decision, I automatically assumed that I was already behind and would need to catch up. But as it turns out, I had read six books so far, and three of them were written by non-white authors. So I'm on my way. If you're interested, you can track my progress on Goodreads.

I invite you to join me for any and all of these goals! I'm particularly interested in your recommendations of books by non-white authors. Let me know what your favorites are!

2 comments:

  1. Kaffir Boy by Mark Mathabane is an eye-opener into Apartheid South Africa through the author's eyes. He came to the USA on an Arthur Ashe tennis scholarship in the 1980s and I heard him speak at U Va during that time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All good things Meg, and I always enjoy reading your blog. I won't bother to recommend what I am reading now! Dad

    ReplyDelete