Thursday, December 31, 2015

At home from east to west

I spent nearly two weeks of December in Virginia with three kinds of family: the one I was born into, the one I married into, and the friends who are close enough to feel like family. I got to see so many of my very favorite people this month, and I'm incredibly thankful.

This visit reminded me of many things I love about my hometown. It was over too quickly, of course, but there was enough time for abundant conversation with my family, snuggles with my baby nephews, reunions with friends, and lots of holiday festivities. In no particular order -- a few of the best moments.

A morning at the Harrisonburg Farmers' Market, where I was staggered by the sheer number of vegetables and fruits still plentifully available from local farmers. This was mid-December, people. All the farmers markets in the Colorado Springs area closed in October and won't reopen until June. My locavore foodie heart cried a little.

Eating Indian food with my best friends and trying to soak up as much love as possible before the too-short night was over. Forgetting my water bottle at the restaurant in Charlottesville, because who can be expected to remember everyday details when you're so full of joy?

Drinking tea with my mother and sister and talking about the shared aspects of ourselves.

Crowding in close with friends and strangers to bless a newly wedded couple.

Crying happy tears at the incomparable joy of singing with The Table, my beloved church.

Group hugs.

Rocking my tiny nephew to sleep while this song played. Wondering what he'll be like when I see him in six months -- a longer time than he's been in the world so far.



Abundant laughter with my extended family.

Board games and Wii dance parties.

Leaving Virginia and returning to Colorado, finding that it felt exactly like leaving home to come home. How lucky I am to have many homes, for it is always better to have too many than not enough.

As 2015 closes and 2016 opens, may you find yourself in the comfort of "home", whatever that might mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment