Tuesday, May 1, 2012

becoming part of New Community Project

Many of you probably know that in an effort to learn more about the world, engage in the local community, and make both a better place, I decided to volunteer with two different organizations and learn how they do what they do.  The main criteria were for a clear mission to build up the local and global communities, a small enough size that I could easily learn about different aspects of their work, and close enough for me to bike to.

The two I ended up with are Artisans' Hope and New Community Project.  Very different, but both awesome and doing great things to help build a healthy and beautiful world.

Today was my first day at New Community Project, working in two of their gardens.  I have many reflections that are only seeds right now, but here is a small effort at sharing what today was like.

I gathered dripping lettuce in my hands and thought, This is amazing.  This came from the earth.  Everything we did today, from dropping tiny beet seeds into dark soil to transporting bins full of compost back from the food co-op on bike trailers, helped to enrich the earth and make it better.

Did you know bronze fennel tastes like black licorice and feels like soft hamster fur?  Did you know comfrey plants contain so many nutrients that soaking the leaves in water will produce fertilizer for a garden?  Did you know you can put rose petals in salad mix?

It's going to be a good summer.  :)

1 comment:

  1. Awesome!
    My only fennel memory is from Bari, Italy. They gave us some in our lunches. Interesting plant.

    ReplyDelete