Friday, May 6, 2016

April showers (and blizzards), May sunshine?

A short poem:

April's air stirs in
willow-leaves . . .
a butterfly
Floats and balances
-Basho

This was not the case in Colorado Springs this April. I felt like the month of April was the Springs's way of making us pay for the literally perfect weather we experience the rest of the year. It snowed three or four times, and it rained most of the rest of the days. I had forgotten what dreary cold gross rainy days felt like, because I am ninety percent sure that before April, it hadn't rained here since October. And when it wasn't raining or snowing or cold, we were taunted with a few days of 70 degree sunny weather, just so that the cold snowy days felt that much worse.


This first week of May, though, has been another story entirely. Sixties and seventies all week with lots of sunshine. And luckily, I've been able to spend a lot of time outside, mostly biking and gardening.


Mountain biking selfie.
 

Garden of the Gods.


Exploring a new part of a familiar bike path.


I'm well aware that this may not last; I'm told that Colorado doesn't have much of a spring season. Apparently May can still be rather cold and quite windy.


But at least my little seedlings are finally getting some much-needed sunshine! And it's true that we needed that rain. Everything is so much greener now.

No comments:

Post a Comment