Monday, April 22, 2013

EMU Highlights: Classes

 As part of my reflecting on my time at EMU, I started making lists of notable aspects of the past four years.  So, to start, here are the classes that I currently consider to be the best ones I've taken.

1.  Social Psychology (Judy Mullet)
This is one of the few classes whose key concepts still come back to me regularly.  If you ever do anything with people, this class will be helpful to you.

2.  Creative Writing (Kirsten Beachy)
So much imagination, philosophizing, and hilarity contained in one class.  Words are a vessel, and this group of writers carried some interesting things.

3.  Worldview Seminar (Ken J. Nafziger)
We get to choose what we do each class period.  We get to talk about interesting ideas and experiences and worldviews in a group of honors students.  We get to laugh and be serious.  We get to wonder about life. 

4.  Native American Lit (Andrew White)
I've liked most of my lit classes, but this one was especially fascinating to me.  I loved the ideas immediately, and soaked in this new understanding of oppression and disadvantage.  The Native American philosophy seemed so right to me, and I was inspired by the emphasis on circularity and balance between all living things.  If I believed in reincarnation, I would say I was a Native American in a past life.

5.  Chamber Singers (Ken J. Nafziger)
A constant of my college experience, and yet different every semester.  I've learned to appreciate many, many styles of singing, and it feels like we've done a bit of almost everything.
Our concert last night was bittersweet, but absolutely beautiful, as always.  As we sang "No ways tired" (with the words "I don't believe he's brought me this far just to leave me"), I looked out at the audience, at so many faces with smiles and tears, and I felt tears beginning in my own eyes as I realized, We are all a part of each other.  This is my community, which I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment