Tuesday, March 29, 2011

admitting

Watching the movie Codes of Gender last night made me want to punch consumer culture in the face.  It was more than the usual rant about gender representations in advertising, but it gave me the usual feelings:  anger at the blatant objectification and devaluing of women, disappointment in the women everywhere who allow this to happen, and the blindness of all who look on these images and see what is "normal".  And more than anything, a growing awareness of my complete inability to change it.

Sometimes I am energized by baby steps toward change for the better (like Mike vandalizing the cafeteria advertisements of a Jersey Shore-themed dance party by ripping off all the pictures of bikini-clad girls), but I'm tired of little change.  I just want a world where people have the rights they deserve.  Is that so much to hope and dream and pray for?

Here's a crazy new idea:  this world might be too big for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment