Friday, August 21, 2015

For the love of soil and plants

Today marks one month since we arrived in the Springs. It's feeling more and more like home, and today, I finally checked off one of the projects I've been planning to do for months: a backyard compost bin!



Getting the supplies this morning was probably the first time I've ever been excited to go to Lowe's. This was basically the easiest possible setup (other than making an unenclosed compost heap), was super quick to make, and cost less than $30. If you're thinking about making your own compost area, these websites have some great information.


The other new addition to our backyard: a juniper bonsai.


I've been wanting a bonsai for years, and for my birthday, Daniel found a website to order one. Someday I'd still like to grow my own from cuttings, but this seems like an easy way for beginners to practice the art of pruning and shaping.


Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree. (Martin Luther)

No comments:

Post a Comment