Wednesday, August 13, 2014

vantage point

Today, in my second-to-last week of summer, I'm trying to soak in this feeling of peace. Soon life will be much fuller, and I'm not sure if I'll be ready for it. Though I have not often managed throughout the summer to silence the call for productivity and busyness (ever present in my mind), I have still taken plenty of time for complete leisure, relaxation, even laziness. Now I try not to think of the tasks I have not crossed off the never-ending to-do list, but instead I think of the ways I have indulged in a slower pace of life. Looking back on the summer, it seems like I did indeed have that elusive slower-paced life -- even if it didn't always feel that way -- and I am thankful.
I'm also trying to be content in the moment (so hard for me to do), knowing that in a few months I'll be longing for days like today, where I had plenty of time for many of my favorite things. This feeling of end-of-summer contentment, anticipating a change, could be summed up in a moment from this afternoon: when I stood in the open doorway of our new apartment, looking out, barefoot, eating a fresh nectarine with juice dripping from my fingers. Looking forward, feeling the sun and the breeze and the sweet air, tasting the goodness of life. This is the summertime way.

No comments:

Post a Comment