Monday, June 29, 2015

Twilight sounds

Lately I've been on the lookout for new music to listen to. (New to me, I mean.) I've been remembering my tendency during high school to find a new song or artist, listen to it obsessively on repeat, and psychoanalyze it lyrically and melodically in search of greater meaning and symbolism.


I don't do that much anymore, and in a way, I miss it. So I've been wandering the corridors of Spotify, trying on new things, in part because I legitimately want to find new music I like and in part just to become more culturally literate.

Right now I like The Paper Kites.


But it's a simple fact of my life that whenever I search for a new band or album, I never have any expectation that I'll find one I love on the same plane as I love the Wailin' Jennys. There are lots of songs and artists I love, but they all exist on an inferior stratum beneath the glorious soul-enriching experience that is TWJ.

And that's okay.


Last night after dinner, in the dimming twilight of a summer evening that is my absolute favorite time, I went for a walk. I listened to Starlight and the rhythm was perfect for walking and the cool breeze blew toward me and I tipped my face up to the sky, clear at last after a rainy day, and the universe made sense.

"In the end, I wonder if the true movement of the world might not be a voice raised in song." (The Elegance of the Hedgehog, p.185)

So I'll keep listening to all kinds of music, I hope. But after all, it's still nice to know that I can always come back to this.

No comments:

Post a Comment