Saturday, May 12, 2012

To my mother

Whether or not you know her, I hope this will make you thankful for the important women in your own life.

My mom taught me that you can be a mom and have a full-time career, but that your family is more important.  She taught me how to love and be angry at the same time.  She taught me that nothing is more important than being honest.  She taught me that it is possible to always challenge yourself, try new things, and continually grow to be a better person, even after age 40.

Both my parents have done an incredible job of modeling life as a follower of Jesus.  I'm still trying to figure out how they instilled their values and faith in me so well.  They conveyed to me how important these values are, but not so that they felt forced upon me.  My mom is a wide-minded idealist who doesn't think any dream is too big, and who isn't afraid to take a few stumbling steps to find the path she's searching for.

She's funny and quirky, but knows how to get along with everyone.  She's often said she's not good at small talk, and it's because she wants to talk about things that matter.

If you want someone to listen to you, especially if you have a question or dilemma, and give helpful suggestions, there's no one better.  In all my growing up years, including all four years of high school, my mom was the person I would go to for ideas and advice about projects, relationships, and decisions of any kind (and often I still do).  For a while I wasn't sure how I would survive at college without her always there to help me brainstorm.

It's funny sometimes how much we resemble each other -- not just in looks, but also in voice, mannerisms, personality, and quirks -- but I never mind claiming this, because I am honored to be like her.

Happy Mother's Day, Mom.  I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment