Wednesday, August 24, 2011

my loves

I emailed my English advisor yesterday to tell him I'm changing my major (to liberal arts with an English concentration, for those of you who didn't know), and he responded by saying, "Though I hate to see you go as an English major, I completely understand your reasoning here.  It makes sense, particularly since your "first love" seems to be music."

    Which caused me to make a face sort of like this:
Because, obviously (to me), music isn't my first love, nor is it my primary love, and certainly not my only love.  It made me ask myself, then -- what is my "first love"?

I don't think I can confine myself by choosing one thing (which, now that I think about it, is a pretty good example of why I'm changing my major to liberal arts).  I love so many things I can't even list them all, and I'm always finding new things to love.  That's why I've spent several hours recently researching (and falling in love with) the art of growing bonsai trees.  :)
My deepest, truest love stems from pursuing a genuine, Christ-like, loving, community-centered way of living. I know that's about as broad a category as it could possibly be, and I like it that way.  That means that there's enough room for my whole life to fit in that category.  And that, ultimately, is my goal.

Bonsai with flowers

No comments:

Post a Comment