Thursday, September 8, 2011

imperfection

Tonight is my first orchestra rehearsal as concertmaster.  It's also my first time playing first violin in college -- until now I've been principal second.  By now I know my own tendency to hold myself to perfectionism, especially when it comes to my music, and this type of situation is the worst.  Whether or not it's true, situations like this make it easy for me to convince myself that everyone else expects me to be perfect, too.
So I'm trying out a new philosophy called "confident mistakes".  Here's the truth:  I'm not perfect, and neither are you, and neither is anyone else.  So let's be imperfect together.

1 comment:

  1. Meg! I love this post. I hope your orchestra rehearsal went very well and that there were many wonderful moments of confident mistakes. I love you!

    ReplyDelete