Friday, January 28, 2011

clear sight

Sometimes I am thankful for the chance to see things oh so clearly.  When my friends at lunch were unconvinced that I could find symbolism in anything in the world (say, a glass of orange juice), they handed it over so I could prove it.  And I could.  Never before had I actually looked so closely at a half-full glass of orange juice, but like everything else in life, it has its complexities.
So I explained how that glass of juice was like people, surprising even myself maybe a little, and I was comforted with the reminder of potential.  I can look at anything I want and find it meaningful, even beautiful.  This is why I have the soul of an artist, if not the skill of one.

Earlier this morning I was asked to answer the question, "How will you bring the spirit of God onto this campus?"  And I said I will keep trying not to put people into boxes, and now I know why.  Because if there is depth of meaning in orange juice, it would be unthinkable for me to claim to understand everything about a person, especially one I barely know.  I can look deeper.  As much as I can help it, I will not judge on the outside.  I want to look and truly see.

2 comments:

  1. this is a beautiful post Meg. Thank you for sharing your thoughts :) love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I beg to differ that you do not have the skill of an artist! You do! Every time you write, creativity and art flows off of the paper. You write such sensory and thought provoking pieces. I simply love you and your artful writing!

    ReplyDelete